Thursday, May 2, 2013

Date Dreams - Lillian G.



I really like dates.  While they are not chocolate, by any means, I like dates.  So when I saw this recipe I was excited.  I wanted to make them GF and couldn't find GF corn flakes or rice cereal (I assumed Rice Krispies) so I substituted Rice Chex and Kix.  Honestly, I don't think the cereal was the problem.  The cookies were good, but just not great.  Two of the kids gave it a 3 and wanted seconds, everyone else was fine at 1.  I honestly don't expect to make them again.  

Also, it doesn't say this in the recipe, but I pulsed each cereal in the food processor a couple of times before measuring and I chopped the dates before measuring.  FYI:I used a food processor to cut the dates, but I think cutting them with a knife wold be better.

Date Dreams
3/4 C sugar
1 C dates
2 eggs
1 C rice cereal
1 C nuts
1 C cornflakes
Coconut

In a saucepan on med heat, cook sugar, dates, and eggs together, stirring constantly until the mixture leaves the side of the pan.  (About 10 minutes). Allow to cool somewhat, but not all the way.  Add cereals and nuts.  With buttered hands, roll into a ball and roll in coconut.

No comments:

Post a Comment