Friday, May 3, 2013

Yummy Chocolate Chip Cookies by Marilyn

Disclaimer:  I don't like raisins.  I will skip desert if it has raisins in it.  It's just not worth the calories.

Marilyn must have loved raisins, because there are twice as many raisins in this recipe as chocolate chips, but the title is still all about the chocolate chips.  Were raisins in everything?  And was it just assumed all cookies would have raisins, so the pertinent information was the chocolate chips??  Because of the way the recipe is put together (boiling the raisins in the water first), I couldn't just leave the offending part out, so I decided to make it dairy free and just feed them all to Ben.  (btw: He LOVES them)  That means I left the chocolate chips out of the Yummy Chocolate Chip recipe.

I'm still giving the recipe a 3.5 because the parts I tasted were great.  They have good texture.  The raisins were very soft and kind of spread out in the cookie because of the boiling.  And like I said, my son loves them.  I'm just not a fan.  I'll probably make them again, and feed them all to my kids while I eat something truly yummy, like chocolate chip-peanut butter cookies.


Yummy Chocolate Chip Cookies by Marilyn Alger
1 C water
2 C raisins
1 t soda
1 C shortening, part butter (I used all shortening to keep them dairy-free)
2 C sugar
1 t cinnamon
3 eggs
1 tsp salt
1 t vanilla
4 C flour (maybe skimp a bit on the flour because I ended up adding a little extra water at the end)
1 t baking powder
1 C nuts (I left these out)
1 6 oz package chocolate chips or 1 Cup.  (I left these out, too)

Boil water and raisins for 5 minutes.  let cool and add soda and cinnamon to raisins.  Cream shortening, sugar, and vanilla.  Add eggs.  Mix in raisin mixture.  Add dry ingredients.  Mix in nuts and chocolate chips.  Bake 12-15 minutes (I did just 10 minutes) at 350.  

No comments:

Post a Comment