Thursday, May 16, 2013

Cinnamon Rolls by Louise M.

This is a great recipe.  I do have to say a thank you to our cousin, DeEtt, who made them once when I was visiting Grandpa.  I hadn't been aware of the recipe, but after I tried the cinnamon rolls she made that day from Grandma's recipe, I decided it was now THE recipe for cinnamon rolls.
    I love that you put the dough in the fridge to raise.   I've always had a hard time getting all the gooey stuff on the rolled out dough, the dough rolled up, and then cut and put on the baking sheet before the rising dough had completely changed shape.  With this recipe, the dough is cold, so you have extra time before it starts rising.  The other thing I love about the recipe is the flavoring.  I think a little almond flavor is common in cinnamon rolls, but never have I seen lemon flavoring.  It really makes a wonderful difference.
    I followed the recipe exactly.  I fills an 11x17 cookie sheet, and after they raise, the rolls will be all touching.  I used 1/2 C melted butter, sprinkled cinnamon and sugar separately, and put craisens on part of them.  I took a couple pictures as I was making them, but didn't manage to get one of them after they baked.   I recommend letting them bake until they are golden brown, not just light brown, so the butter doesn't make them doughy. I used a basic icing for them, but they are also good with cream cheese frosting or plain.

Cinnamon Rolls by Louise M.
2 cakes yeast (4 tsp)
2 C scalded milk
1 1/2 C sugar
1 C shortening
1 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp almond extract
1/4 tsp lemon extract
1 tsp nutmeg
2 beaten eggs
6 1/2 C flour

Dissolve yeast in 1/2 C lukewarm water.  Combine sugar, shortening, and salt in mixing bowl and add boiling milk.  Stir until shortening is melted.  Cool to lukewarm, add eggs, yeast (and water), flour, vanilla, and lemon and almond extract.  Mix well.  Chill in refrigerator 3-4 hours.  Roll out and spread with butter, cinnamon, and sugar.  Also add raisins or nuts if desired.  Let raise.  Bake at 375 for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.  Frost while warm.


No comments:

Post a Comment