Saturday, May 11, 2013

Banana Nut Cake by Louise M.


I always like doing recipes from Grandma!

This cake was good, but not earth shattering.  I followed the directions exactly, except for leaving out the nuts.  One of the layers fell, but not the other.  They were filled the same, but maybe one side of the oven is hotter than the other??  Mom (Louise' daughter) said that the cake always fell, so I didn't feel too bad about it.  I also confirmed the recipe for lemon cream frosting, and I added it below the cake recipe.  Since I can't find the camera ANYWHERE, imagine a two layer cake with bright white frosting, and cake that is a greyish brown.  That sounds like a disgusting color, but I promise it looks yummy!

Banana Nut Cake by Louise Matheson
2 ½ C flour
1 ½ t baking powder
1 ½ C granulated sugar
¾ t soda
¾ t salt
¾ C shortening
6 t flour (I left this out)
½ C brown sugar
6 T buttermilk
1 ½ C mashed bananas (approx. 3 large bananas)
3 eggs
1 ½ t vanilla
¾ C chopped nuts (I left this out)

Sift dry ingredients into large bowl, add shortening, brown sugar, buttermilk, and bananas.  Mix enough to dampen flour.  Beat 2 min.  Add eggs and vanilla.  Beat one minute.  Fold in nuts dusted with 6 T flour
(since we don’t really like nuts in cake, I left out both of these ingredients and this step).  Turn into two greased 8” layer pans lined with paper (or coffee filters, which are the perfect size).  Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.  Frost with lemon cream frosting


Lemon Cream Frosting (all measurements are approximate)
1/2 C shortening
1 t vanilla
dash salt
4 C powdered sugar
1/2 C lemon juice
Mix all ingredients, adding lemon juice as needed.  Beat several minutes to achieve fluffiness.  DO NOT USE MILK.  I guess the lemon juice will sour the milk if you add it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment