Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Date Nut Cakes

When I looked at my cake recipes, I realized that I have 2 that were almost identical, so I decided to make them both and have people vote for the best one.  Isn't that the only reason we try new recipes, to find out if it is better than the recipe we already have?  I know I come from a family of great cooks, because it is pretty rare for me to find a recipe that is better than what I already have.

Anyway, I HATE nuts and I only like dates a little, so I relied on the opinions of others to tell me which one tastes best.  The consensus is that the Date Cake is moister and more cake-like.  They said it is not just the topping, the whole cake is moister.  The Queen Elizabeth Cake is more like a bread.  The Queen Elizabeth Cake definitely had more steps to mix up and dirtied more dishes.  The Date Cake was easier to mix up, but you have to make the topping, so they take about the same amount of effort, but for the extra effort you get a gooey topping.  Both cakes fell.  I think this is because I tested them with a toothpick at the wrong time.  They definitely took longer to bake than the recipe said.  I will probably never make them again, but for all you date and nut lovers, make Lillian's Date cake, it is better.


left-Queen Elizabeth Date Nut Cake,   right-Date Cake

Date Cake by Lillian G.

1 1/4 c chopped dates
1 c boiling water
1 T butter
1 c sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 c flour
1 tsp soda
1/2 c chopped nuts

Preheat oven to 350 and grease and flour a 9 inch square cake pan.  Put dates and butter in a mixing bowl and pour the boiling water over the top.  (I let it sit for a little while because I was making both cakes at the same time)  Add everything else, but the nuts, and beat 2 minutes.  Stir in nuts.  Pour in prepared pan and bake 30 minutes, or until it is done in the center.  It will be a dark brown.  Cool slightly, and spread with slightly warm date topping.

Date Topping

1/2 c sugar
1/2 c chopped dates
1/4 c water
1/2 c chopped nuts

Combine sugar, dates, and water in a small sauce pan.  Boil for 2 minutes, then add the nuts.  Cool slightly.

Queen Elizabeth Date Nut Cake by Veda M

1 c boiling water
1 c chopped dates
1 tsp soda
1/4 c butter
1 c sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 c sifted flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 c chopped nuts

Measure dates into a small bowl, pour boiling water over the top, and add soda.  In another bowl, cream butter and sugar.  Add egg and vanilla.  Stir in dry ingredients, and then the nuts.  Add date mixture, and mix well.  Pour into a greased 9 inch square pan and bake for 25 minutes, or until done in the center.

No comments:

Post a Comment