Thursday, May 23, 2013

Opera Creams - Della G.

I don't have a photo because they went to sugar and I didn't even try to beat them.  I called Jennifer to ask about the sugar not dissolving before it started to boil and she thought is the recipe has a misprint.  So, I am guessing it should be 2 C of sugar not 4 C of sugar. I also thought it strange to add salt to the candy after it had been cooked. That said, the flavor wasn't amazing either.  I don't know if I will try them again with 2 C of sugar.  Another thought is the sugar just didn't dissolve well.  Who knows?  Mom was going to check her original book for a misprint.  I have to admit I was really dissappointed.  I was really excited to try these.

Because of all that I am giving it a 1.

Opera Creams
4 C sugar
1 C cream
4 T corn syrup
1 t vanilla
1 C chopped walnuts
dash of salt

Combine sugar, syrup, cream until dissolved, then without stirring, cook to 238-degrees.  Remove from heat and add vanilla, salt, and nuts.  Beat vigorously until creamy and heavy.  Pour on a buttered sheet to cool.  Mark in 1" squares.

No comments:

Post a Comment