Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Divinity by Lillian G.

I have always been afraid to try divinity because my mom can't make it.  She can make any other kind of candy, so I assumed it must be tricky.  Mine worked great.  Maybe that is because, according to candy lore, divinity is picky about the weather.  If there is a storm coming or anything, it will mess it up.  My mom always  made candy at Christmas, when there is often a storm.  I made a half batch because I didn't want a lot and I wasn't sure how it would work out.  Because of that, I decided to use a hand mixer because 1 egg white is pretty small for my Kitchenaid.  That was a mistake.  I think it would have turned out smoother with the stand mixer.  I kept having to stop the hand mixer to do the next step, but I could have left the Kitchenaid running.  Next time I will do the full batch and use the Kitchenaid.  I only got 10 small dollops of divinity out of a half batch.


Divinity by Lillian G.

Combine these ingredients in a large mixer bowl:
2 egg whites
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla

Combine these ingredients in a saucepan:
2 c sugar
3/4 c water
1/2 c Karo syrup

Place saucepan over meduim or high heat and stir until boiling.  Cover and continue to boil.  Beat the egg white mixture until stiff peaks form.  When the sugar mixture spins a thread (Better Homes and Gardens defines that as "When a teaspoon is dipped into the hot mixture, then removed, the candy falls off the spoon in a 2-inch-long, fine, thin, thread." 230-233 degrees with a candy thermometer) turn the mixture on low speed and add 1/4 of the syrup mixture slowly to the beaten egg whites.  Leave the mixer on low speed and cook the rest of the syrup to crack stage (295-310 degrees).  Add to egg white mixture and beat until stiff.  Add nuts if desired.  Drop by taplespoons onto waxed paper and cool completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment