Thursday, May 16, 2013

Easy Busy Day Rolls - Jennie S


First of all, anything that requires thinking way ahead is not easy for me.  Nor are measurements that are 1/2 C minus 1 T.  I find them both annoying.  So I did a full stick of butter, figuring the recipe wasn't made using skim milk and just measured a 1/2 C sugar and then dusted some off.  I also didn't scald the milk, not EASY.  I just heated it in the microwave.  They also rise 4-6 hours after mixing and, lastly, once the rolls are shaped they have to rise an additional 4 hours, which I didn't notice until after I made them at 11 and then a few hours later sat down to write this and realized they needed a total of 8-10 hours rise time.  Meaning, I needed to make these before the kids went to school if we wanted them for dinner.  Instead, they were a midnight snack. Needless to say, I found the recipe guilty of false advertising. 

That said, fresh from the oven they were tasty.  I made some with the brown sugar and nuts and the little hint of sweetness was yummy.  But the next day they were dry.  So if you have a lazy day, as in you would like to only make rolls, this is an ok recipe.

Also, when I checked with mom about this recipe, 4-6 hours of rise time at room temperature seemed extreme, she mentioned that Grandma use to make these and they were usually bland and needed more salt, and 3/4 t salt seemed like not enough for 4 C of flour, so I increased the salt to a heaping tsp.

Note:  the recipe doesn't say the butter should be melted, but it seemed appropriate so I melted it.

Easy Busy Day Rolls
1 T yeast
1 T sugar
1 T water
1/2 C minus 1 T butter, melted
1 C scalded milk
1/2 C minus 1 T sugar 
Heaping tsp salt
3 well beaten eggs
4 C flour

Dissolve yeast and 1 T sugar in 1 T water.  Set aside.  Mix milk, melted butter, 1/2 C-ish sugar and salt.  Mix in eggs then add flour and yeast mixture.  Cover and let rise 4-6 hours at room temperature or overnight in the fridge. 

On a floured surface pat out to 1/8-1/4" thick and cut into strips.  Wrap strips around your finger and place in a muffin tin, each containing 1/2 t melted butter.  If you want sweet rolls, add 1/2 t brown sugar and 1/2 t crushed nuts to each tin.  Rise for 4 hours.  Bake at 350 degrees for 10-15 minutes or until "delicate" brown.  Makes 2-3 doz.

No comments:

Post a Comment