Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Nut Bread by Mildred M.

As we have already discussed, nuts are gross, so I left them out of all but 1 loaf of this bread.  It is interesting that the one with nuts baked up prettier.  I have had this happen before when I added nuts to only half of a recipe.  My theory is that the nuts affect the moisture and fat content and change the consistency.  So, if it is nut bread, and you don't like nuts, you should look for another recipe.

The concensus on this bread is that it is o.k., but we don't need to make it again.  It is kind of tough and chewy.  I don't think I over-mixed it, because I was careful not to.  The flavor is a lot like brown sugar muffins, which are much tastier and have a better consistency, so make those instead.


Nut Bread by Mildred M.

2 well beaten eggs
2 c brown sugar
2 c sour milk
4 c flour
2 tsp soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1 c chopped walnuts

Cream eggs and sugar; add milk and mix well.  Sift together dry ingredients and add to sugar mixture.  Stir in nuts.  Pour into well greased loaf pans, I got 3 loaves.  Bake at 350 for  50-60 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment