Monday, May 20, 2013

Christmas Fudge - Rua J.

I will be honest, I was not excited to do this recipe.  Cherries, pineapple and nuts in fudge...Doesn't appeal to me.  I  decided to get it over with since I had candied cherries and pineapple in the fridge.  I cooked the candy to soft ball but when I went to stir it my on my marble slab my arm ran out of power.  (I know the mixer would have not lasted long enough).  The candy had only began to go to the creamy stage.  Mine is a still a little transparent and sticky.  I tried to stir a small amount after it cooled but the red pineapple and green cherries started spreading color through it all.  Let's just say it isn't pretty.  After all of that is said; if it were creamy white like I expected, it would be gorgeous!!!!!!   I love the flavor!  It is so good.  The nuts and fruit are a really fun combination.  I only used the pecans because I thought it would taste better.  I think I might try to dip a small amount and see how it is.  I would definitely make this one again.  I would do only a half recipe because too many of my family would not eat the nuts.  I really tried to teach them to like nuts but it didn't work.

Christmas Fudge - Rua J.

3  C. Sugar                                                                  2  tsp. Vanilla
1  1/2 C. Light Cream                                                  1  C. Dried Candied Cherries
1  C. Karo Syrup (white)                                             1  C. Dried Candied Pineapple
1  tsp. Salt                                                                   1  1/2 C. Walnuts
2  C.  Pecans

Lightly butter the sides of the pot.  Mix sugar, cream, karo and salt.  Boil to soft ball stage.  Remove from heat and add vanilla.  Beat on medium speed while hot until candy becomes creamy and holds its shape (about 10 min.).  Add fruit and nuts.  Pour into 2- 9"x4" greased pans.  Put in refrigerator.  Cut into cubes.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad my arm isn't the only one that runs out of power sometimes. :)

    ReplyDelete