Monday, May 27, 2013

Tuna Cutlets - Veda M.

I really wondered if I would like this dish.  I used to love Grandmas tuna casserole, but whenever I make it, it is awful and no one will eat it.  I quit trying several years and casseroles ago .   The cutlet looks very attractive on the plate.  It reminds me of a piece of boneless fried chicken.  I placed it with a salad because the cutlet is a light and refreshing piece of meat.  The cutlet and salad would be great as a light lunch.  When it was done the flavor was very tasty.  It reminds me of a toasted tuna sandwich.  I do love toasted tuna.  I halved the recipe and it made 4 cutlets.
I tried to shape the cutlets, but as I turned them in the oil they kind of squished.  The shape could be altered during cooking because it is quite pliable.  I broke up white bread into pieces like for dressing.  I added it to the mixture along with the egg when it said to add all the rest of the ingredients.  After I did it I wondered if the crumbs were to go on top to bread the cutlet.  I used additional ground dry bread crumbs for breading the cutlet.  The mixture was moist enough that I didn't need any additional egg for breading.  I am glad I added the soft bread crumbs.  Without the bread pieces the cutlet would have been so soft and almost runny that I would not have been able to handle it to cook it.  I will make this again.

Tuna Cutlets - Veda M.    (makes 8 cutlets)


1  7 oz. can tuna (drained)                                    1  tsp. Lemon Juice

2  Tbs. fat (butter)                                                1  Beaten Egg
4  Tbs. Flour                                                        1  tsp. Salt
1/2  C. Milk   (may use tuna juice for some)          1/4  tsp. Pepper
1  1/2 C. Soft White Bread Crumbs                      Dry ground bread crumbs for breading

Melt fat in saucepan.  Add flour and blend.  Add milk and cook until thick, stirring constantly.  Add drained tuna and other ingredients.  Mix well and form mixture into cutlet shapes on waxed paper or plastic wrap.  Refrigerate until set and bread with dry bread crumbs.  Fry in hot oil until brown.  (I used a small amount in a fry pan).

No comments:

Post a Comment