Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Skillet Corn—Mildred M.





So I realize this does not look very appetizing, and I wish I could say differently, but it was only so-so.  I think if I had rinsed the beef better it would have tasted better, but I don't know that it would solve everything.  I have to say I was incredibly disappointed, I really thought it would be amazing.  I did run the beef and the onions through the food processor after cooking it since my husband just had mouth surgery so he couldn't chew too well.  I also added a can of green chilies (you can say New Mexico has grown on me).  That said, it was just not amazing.  It is one recipe I might see if I can  tweak since it is super easy, but I am not sure that I am all about it.  Anyway, here it is.

Skillet Corn
2 1/2 oz shredded dried beef  (by the Spam)
2 T minced onion
2 t butter
1 T flour (or cornstarch)
3/4 milk
1 can creamed corn
Buttered toast or mashed potatoes

Rinse beef.  Lightly fry beef and onion in melted butter until the edges of beef curl.

If using flour: Stir in flour.  Add milk stir until thickened and add the corn.  Turn to low and add cheese and cook just until melted.  Serve at once in buttered toast or mashed potatoes.

If using cornstarchAdd milk, reserving  2-3 T, and the corn, cook until boiling then add cornstarch to reserved milk and combine then add milk mixture to corn mixtures and stir until thickened.   Turn to low and add cheese and cook just until melted.  Serve at once in buttered toast or mashed potatoes.






1 comment: