Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Fruit Salad by Mary Mae N.

Mary Mae was a huge fan of fruit salad.  She had 3 recipes she submitted with that name, and they were all assigned to me.  I made 2 of them, but the third recipe seems incomplete.  I will post it here, and if anyone knows what it means by dressing, please comment.

Fruit Salad

1 c mandarin oranges
1 small can pineapple tidbits, drained
1/2 pt sour cream
1 c small marshmallows
1 c coconut

Mix fruit together, add dressing and sour cream.  Let sit overnight before eating.


I call this the orange fruit salad.  Isn't it pretty in the pan?  It did not taste very good, but, with some adjustments, it could be yummy, so I gave it 2 stars.  I wonder if there are some differences in sizes of containers and products available.  For instance, how small is a small can of frozen orange juice?  I used a regular can of frozen concentrate because that is the smallest can I could find in my grocery store, but I wonder if they used to come smaller, or maybe you could get full strength orange juice in the freezer, because the salad tastes like straight orange juice concentrate.  It is really strong.  Even my husband who loves orange juice thought it was a little much.  I wasn't sure what a package of lemon chiffon pudding was either, so I used instant lemon pudding.  When I mentioned the shredded cheese, my family made a collective gagging sound, so I left it off.  They probably wouldn't have tasted it over the orange juice flavor, but I wanted them to at least try the salad.

Fruit Salad by Mary Mae N.

2 small packages orange Jello
2 c hot water
1 med can crushed pineapple (I drained it and used the juice for part of the water)
1 small can frozen orange juice
1 c cold water
1 can mandarin oranges, drained

Dissolve Jello in boiling water.  Add remaining ingredients and refrigerate for 4 hours.

TOPPING
1 package lemon chiffon pie filling
whipped cream
shredded cheese

Follow directions on the box to prepare the pie filling.  Spread over salad and chill.  Spread cream over the top and sprinkle with cheese.


This last salad is definitely the best.  It is pretty in the pan, and so yummy.  The pineapple topping was the best part.  If I were to change something, I would double the topping to make it even better.  Now for some confessions.  I did not add the sugar to the Jello layer.  I coundn't imagine needing it, Jello and all the other ingredients are plenty sweet.  I wonder why she added sugar to this sweet salad, but not to the other, extremely tart one? The, I had half a tub of Cool Whip in the fridge, so I used it instead of whipping cream.

Fruit Salad by Mary Mae N.

2 small packages lemon Jello
1 c bouling water
2 c 7-up
2 c tiny marshmallows
1/4 c sugar
3 sliced bananas
2 c drained pineapple, reserve juice

Dissolve the Jello in the boiling water.  Add everything else and chill overnight.

TOPPING
1/2 c pineapple juice
1 egg
                                                                                                        2 T lemon juice
                                                                                                        1/4 c sugar
                                                                                                        1 c cream, whipped

Cook first 4 ingredients until thick.  Cool.  Fold in whipped cream, and spread over salad.  Chill.

No comments:

Post a Comment