Thursday, April 11, 2013

Icebox Cookies by Mildred M.

I think these should really be called Spiced Ice Box Cookies.  They are basically a sugar cookie with the same sort of spices you would find in a spice cake.  The icebox name simple comes from refrigerating them before slicing and baking them.  I should have tried just dropping them onto the cookie sheet, because I think they would have also worked that way.  The cookies are fine, but I prefer just regular sugar cookies.  If I'm going to eat all the spices, I need Cream Cheese Frosting on top.



Spiced Ice Box Cookies
1 C shortening
1 C white sugar
1 C brown sugar
3 Tbsp cream (I used water so the Bubba could eat them, and I think it's fine)
3 eggs
5 C flour
2 tsp soda dissolved in a little water (I used about 2 tbsp, but I wonder if this step is really necessary)
1 tsp vanilla
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp cloves
1 tsp salt
1 tsp nutmeg
1 C nuts (which I left out because my kids won't eat them)

Shape into loaves and leave in refrigerator over night.  Slice and bake at 350 until light brown (9 minutes)

No comments:

Post a Comment