Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Apple Walnut Cobbler - Mildred M.


When I first saw this recipe I thought it looked yummy, and I was right.  It wasn't the most amazing recipe I have ever tasted, but it is a pretty good cobbler recipe and if you were camping it would probably be good in a Dutch oven.  I followed the recipe exactly, and the ran an errand thinking to be back before it was out of the oven.  I ended up being back late, but a helpful child turned the oven off when the timer rang, and, not realizing something was in there, left it in the oven and so it sat in the oven for about 20-30 extra minutes, and in my opinion it was cooked perfectly so you may want to extend the cook time up to10 minutes.  Best part about the recipe, I finally purchased mace!

Apple Walnut Cobbler
1/2 C sugar
1/2 t cinnamon
1/2 t mace
1/2 C walnuts, divided
4 C thinly sliced tart apples*
1 C flour
1 C sugar
1 t BP
1/4 t salt
1 beaten egg
1/2 C milk
1/3 C butter, melted

Preheat oven to 325.  Mix sugar, cinnamon, mace and 1/4 C walnuts. Place sliced apples in a greased 9x13 pan and sprinkle cinnamon mixture over top.  combine remaining dry ingredients (not remaining walnuts) in a small bowl.  In a medium bowl combine melted butter, milk, and egg and and then add dry ingredients and mix until smooth.  Pour over apples in the pan and then sprinkle remaining walnuts on top.  Bake for 50 minutes or until done.  Serve warm with whipped cream or cold.

We are having it for breakfast!

No comments:

Post a Comment