Thursday, April 11, 2013

Chocolate Mountain Cookies - Lillian G.

I thought these sounded yummy, marshmallows and chocolate. And they were good, but not great.  They use shortening and I would be interested to see how they tasted with butter.  They are also a little gummy, I did add some flour for high altitude and I am wondering if I shouldn't have, since they were a little too dry.  That said, these were worth making again, I think I might do so and use butter and see what happens.  I'd expect they would be a little more moist and the flavor would be better.  As for the frosting, I used a can - not my favorite, but it is easy.  I microwaved the can for 15 seconds to get a better frosting consistency.  If I did it again, I would just make a glaze or ganache.  I think it would go over the cookie a lot better and look prettier.

The only real issue I had with the recipe was that it says to drop the cookies by 2 tsp drops.  That is too big if you want to have the 48 cookies it calls for.  I used my 1 tsp cookie scoop and that turned out perfect.  Also, I didn't have a nut half so I just sprinkled chopped walnuts on the top of the dough in the center and squished it in.  The pieces kind of spread, but it tasted good.  I think it would be even better with a pecan.

Chocolate Mountain Cookies
1 3/4 C flour
1 C sugar
1/2 C cocoa
1/4 t soda
1 egg
1 t vanilla
1/2 C shortening
1/2 C evaporated milk
1/2 t salt
2 T water
24 Lg Marshmallows
1/2 C chopped nuts
48 Nut halves (opt)

Preheat oven to 350-degrees.  Combine four, sugar, cocoa, soda, and salt in a medium bowl.  Add shortening, milk, water, egg, and vanilla.  Beat for 3 minutes, add nuts.  Drop on a cookie sheet in 1 to 1-1/2 tsp sized drops, about 2" apart.  If desired, place a nut half on top of each cookie.  Bake for 10 minutes, the cookies will be slightly soft in the center.  While they are baking, cut the marshmallows in half.  When the cookies are removed from the oven, immediately place the cut marshmallows on the cookies with the cut side down in the center of the cookie.  Place cookies on a cooling rack and frost with chocolate icing.

No comments:

Post a Comment