Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Orange Sherbet SALAD - Mary DS

Try #1 - I thought I was a responsible cook and could follow a recipe.  I was wrong, it pays to read a little more closely.  The recipe states "Whipped" cream.  I did not interpret as 'whipped' because the instructions did not specify to whip the cream.  I changed that in my instructions.  I just dumped in the whipping cream.  I also forgot to let the mixture cool first so after it set up I mixed in about 8 oz.of Cool Whip and it is OK.  A little lumpy but I think that is because I let it set up not just "GEL" before I added the cool whip.  I also used orange juice concentrate because it says to dissolve it in the boiling water. I don't have to dissolve my orange juice so I thought I needed frozen concentrate.  The orange is a little strong.  The cool whip helped tone down the flavor. Not that this version is bad because it isn't.  It is just not right.  Looks like scrambled eggs!
Try #2
For this one I followed the recipe a little closer.  The orange juice is still a little strong.  I diluted the orange juice by only half.  I should have used regularly prepared orange juice or even a less bitter brand of orange juice.  It does have a smoother flavor and the texture is more like smooth jello not lumpy scrambled eggs.
I would make this recipe again, but I would use prepared orange juice (like Tropicana or something like that) not orange juice concentrate to take away the bitter flavor.


Orange Sherbet Salad - Mary DS.

1  6 oz.pkg Orange Jello                                                    1 1/2 C. Boiling Water
1  pkg. Gelatin (softened in 1/4 C. Cold Water)                   1 C. Whipped Cream
1 C. Orange Juice (not just concentrate)                              2 C. Crushed Pineapple-Drained
2 Tbs. Sugar                                                                       16 Marshmallows
Nuts (optional)

In boiling water dissolve jello, softened gelatin, and sugar.  Add orange juice and cool until mixture gels.  Whip the whipping cream. Fold whipped cream, pineapple and marshmallows (nuts if desired) into orange mixture.  Allow to set and serve.  Approx. 18 - 1/2 C. servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment