Friday, April 26, 2013

Barbecue Beef by Mary N.

She should really call this sloppy joes.  It is similar to the sloppy joe recipe that Jennifer gave me a long time ago, but not as good.  Plus, when I hear the title barbecue beef, I think of shredded beef, not ground.  So, to save yourself the hassle of finding chicken gumbo soup, and trying to figure out a gluten free version, just use this one:

Sloppy Joes
2 lbs ground beef
chopped onion
chopped celery
1 C tomatoes or juice (I have used fresh and canned, and they both work well)
1 1/2 C ketsup
1/4 tsp each sage, mustard powder, chili powder, curry

Brown the beef with the onions and celery.  Add other ingredients and simmer until ready to serve.  The actual directions say simmer for 1 hour, but I've never managed to do that.  My family smells it, then come running for dinner.


Here's the picture and recipe from the cook book:

Barbecue Beef by Mary Mae Nelson
3 lbs ground beef
chopped onions
4 T prepared mustard
1 can chicken gumbo soup
1 1/2 C catsup

Brown ground beef with onion.  Add other ingredients, simmer for a few minutes and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment