Thursday, April 4, 2013

Fruit Salad - Maurine G.



So I decided the salad section should be "jello salads."  While mine doesn't have "jello" anything, you do make a pudding-like mixture to fold into whipped cream with marshmallows.

That said, while I love jello salad, I could do without this one.  It was flavorless.  I added some salt and then some powdered sugar to see if it made a difference, and it helped, but it couldn't rescue this recipe. It really is boring.  I did use bottled lemon juice instead of fresh, and while I think that could help, I don't know if it would make enough of a difference to have this be a staple in our home.  I have a lot of other jello-type salads I would prefer before this one.

UPDATE: I made this a second time (on accident, forgot i made this salad) and decided I liked it, go figure!  I did add some salt to the salad.  And allowed it to sit.  I shared it with friends and they really liked it too.

I have decided a more modern (easy) version would be  1/4 of a recipe of lemon jello instant pudding, 1 C cool whip, marshmallow, pineapple, and nuts.

Fruit Salad
2 eggs
3 T sugar
1/4 C cream
1/2 C chopped walnuts or pecans
juice of 1 lemon (2-3 T)
1 C whipped cream, whipped (I would add 1 sprinkle of salt and 2 T powdered sugar)
1 C crushed pineapple (1 lg can, drained)
1 pkg, tiny marshmallows (I did 1/2 a 1 lb bag)

Cook eggs, sugar, cream, and juice until thick - allow to cool.  Whip whipping cream and fold in pudding-like mixture, pineapple, nuts, and marshmallows.  Refrigerate.

No comments:

Post a Comment