Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Improvement Era Brownie by Lillian G.


Improvement Era Brownies by Lillian G


2/3 c shortening
3/4 c cocoa
2 c sugar
2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp salt (This is a correction)
4 eggs
1/2 c milk
1 1/2 c flour
1/2 c nuts, optional



Melt shortening and cocoa in a saucepan or a mixing bowl in the microwave.  Remove from heat and, using a spoon, not a mixer, add sugar, vanill, and salt.  Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well with the spoon each time.  Alternately add milk and flour.  Add nuts.  Pour into a greased 9x13 pan.  Bake at 325 for 15-20 minutes.  Brownied will shrink away from the sides of the pan and spring back when lightly touched in the center.  Frost while warm, if desired.


This is the second brownie recipe I have made that came from the Improvement Era.  Whoever they had in charge of recipes for the magazine in the 60's had great taste. These brownies  were really fudgy and easy to make.  Unfortunately, they had at least 1 typo.  I am sure it is supposed to read 1/2 tsp salt, not 2 tsp salt.  Luckily, I caught that before I started.  I am also wondering if there is supposed to be baking powder.  Notice how flat they are. It was perfect for the recipe I had planned, but I think I like thicker brownies better.
I cooked them in these strange pans so I could make Raspberry Brownie Torte.  You can find the recipe on  Melissa's blog here: http://melsrecipes.blogspot.com/2011/02/raspberry-brownie-torte.html  It has raspberries and whipping cream and I throw in a brick of cream cheese to make it extra yummy.  I highy recommend it when you want something fancy.




1 comment:

  1. Just for your information. This raspberry dessert is wonderful. You must try it. It is one of our favorite in raspberry season.

    ReplyDelete