Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Oatmeal Cookies by Maurine G.


These are really yummy.  I knew my family wouldn’t be a fan of plain oatmeal cookies, so I added butterscotch chips to half of them, but I like them both ways.  It was Valentine’s Day, so I shaped them into hearts- aren’t they cute!  I think you could skip the refrigeration step and just scoop and bake the cookies right away.  The oatmeal made them a little hard to slice, so I ended up forming them with my hands after I sliced them so they would look pretty instead of smooshed.  Scooping would definitely be easier.  Although, if you just wanted to bake a few at a time, it is nice to know that the dough refrigerates well. 

Do you like that I only own 1 plate?  Actually, it is the only cute plate I own.

Oatmeal Cookie by Maurine G.

1 c shortening
1 c sugar
1 c brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2 beaten eggs
1 ½ c flour
3 c oatmeal
1 tsp salt
1 tsp soda
½ c nuts or coconut

Cream shortening and sugars.  Add eggs and vanilla.  Add dry ingredients.  Form into long rolls, wrap in plastic, and refrigerate.  Slice and bake at 350 for 10 minutes.  Makes 5 dozen cookies*

*I don't know what size cookies Maurine makes, but when I make them, this recipe only makes about 3 1/2 doz.  Obviously I like cookies bigger than Maurine, or maybe my children just like cookie dough more :)

No comments:

Post a Comment