Monday, February 11, 2013

Harvard Beets - Della G

Sorry no picture.  I went to take the picture and the camera won't work.  I used frozen beets.
I do love harvard beets.  Imagine a smooth, beautiful, dark magenta color sauce.  Oooooo!  The sauce flowing and swirling in between chunks of dark magenta beets. Ahhhhh!  The aroma rising and inviting your taste buds to moisten in anticipation.  Yummm!  When the aroma reaches your nose with a blast of vinegar everything changes.  The recipe calls for mild vinegar which I didn't know what it was so I used white vinegar thinking maybe the taste would be milder.  Wrong.  I think you must need to water down the vinegar by at least 1/2.  Cider vinegar would give it a better flavor also.  My own recipe (Better Home and Garden) uses a little more sugar and I like the flavor better than this one.

Harvard Beets - Della G.

2 Tbs. Butter or Margarine                          1/2 tsp. Salt
1 Tbs. Cornstarch                                       1/2 C. Mild Vinegar
1 Tbs. Sugar                                               2 C Cubed Cooked Beets

Melt butter in saucepan.  Add cornstarch mix until smooth.  Add sugar and salt, mix well.  Add Vinegar slowly and stirring constantly.  Cook until thick (I stirred and cooked it about 2 min. so it was well blended.  Add beets and heat through.

No comments:

Post a Comment