Thursday, February 21, 2013

Danish Dandies by Virginia S.

My first impression on reading this recipe was "good, I have all the ingredients".  Then I realized it called for 8 eggs, and 2 cups flour.  EIGHT!  It actually just calls for 8 hard boiled egg yolks, but I have no idea how to get a yolk hard boiled without the white.  Does anyone else??  If the eggs could be separated first, I have all sorts of recipes that use 8 egg whites.  As it was, I ended up hard boiling 8 whole eggs, then taking out the yolks and throwing away the whites.  I got side tracked in the middle of the process, so the yolks sat on the counter and cooled a bit before I mashed them.  I would suggest mashing them while still very hot, since I got a few lumps from them getting a bit crusty while sitting on the counter.  (really, they only sat there for 10 minutes or so, but it was enough for a slight crust to form).

The rest of the recipe was very easy and straight forward.  Forming a log out of the dough, then chilling and slicing off cookies for baking was very simple.  And they were good.  Not fantastic, but very good.

Danish Dandies
8 egg yolks
1/2 C shortening
1/2 C margarine
3/4 C sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp lemon extract
2 C flour

Hard cook egg yolks.  Press through sieve.  Cream together shortening, margarine, sugar.  Add salt, flavoring, egg yolks.  Mix well.  Add flour to make moderately stiff dough.  Shape into rolls and chill.  Slice 1/8 inch thick.  Cook on ungreased cookie sheet at 400 degrees for 8 minutes.

2 comments:

  1. I love the yellow flecks, it adds interest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure about making cookies with cooked yolks, that just sounds weird.

    ReplyDelete