Thursday, February 28, 2013

Lemon Chiffon Pie by Kathy N.

I was reading over the other pie recipes just now, and realized Jenn made a Lemon Chiffon Pie, too.  I think this one was a lot easier to make.  It had simple ingredients.  Aside from the lemon and orange, I always have the ingredients, and it's not hard or expensive to pick up a lemon and orange while at the store.  I beat the egg whites while the juice was heating up, so they were ready to go as soon as the egg yolk mixture was thick.  One problem I had was tiny lumps in the egg yolk mixture, and they didn't smooth out.  I think if I had mixed the corn starch with the sugar before I added the yolks, it might have solved that.  And, I added the egg yolk mixture to the boiling juice gradually, beating like crazy with a whisk the whole time.  So I don't think the lumps came from that.  I put it in a graham cracker crust, since I'm much better at making that kind.

As far as taste, I'm just going to have to guess.  I don't like cream pies, so not only do I not like this one, I have nothing else to judge it from since I never eat cream pies.  I'd rather skip dessert.  I know I'm the crazy one here, so I'll guess and say it's a 3.  It smelled good, and when I licked the spoon a little after I dumped the filling in the crust, it was a pleasant taste.  Plus, beginning to end, it took less than an hour, and that includes breaks to fix lunch for my kids.  

FYI: the filling is gluten free and dairy free, which has to add extra points.  :)

Lemon Chiffon Pie by Kathy Nelson
juice of one lemon
juice of one orange
3 egg yolks
1/2 C sugar
3 T corn starch
3 egg whites
1/2 C sugar
1 tsp vanilla

Add enough water to juice of lemon and orange to make one cup.  Bring to boil.  Add egg yolks, 1/2 C sugar, and corn starch which have been blended.  Cook to thicken (it only took a couple minutes).  Beat egg whites until stiff with 1/2 C sugar and vanilla.  Fold whites mixture into lemon mixture, pour into baked pie crust.  (I used a 9 inch pie plate, and it fit perfect)

No comments:

Post a Comment