Monday, February 25, 2013

Apple Pie - Loleen G.

APPLE PIE - Loleen G.


I started out with one plan and found I had used the cream I needed in something else so I changed to Apple Pie because I had enough apples.  This recipe is listed 2 times.  pg.102 & 105.  Pg. 102 would be best to use.  Unless your apples were xlg. 4-5 apples would not be enough apples.  I used 4 xlg. Johnny Gold and 1 apple of unknown variety to get enough for the pie.  Johnny Gold apples are not very tart they are really sweet so the pie was too sweet for me.  I should have adjusted the sugar a little.  I also enjoy more flavor so I used both the nutmeg and cinnamon.  I expected the pie to not set up very well because it used less flour than my usual apple pie recipe.  I also followed the lapping of crust instruction.  It gave a thicker crust edge but the flavor was a good mix with the sweeter apples, and none of the moisture seeped between the crust layers .  I was VERY happy and pleased with the final result.  I think the variety of apples and amount of flour were a great combination.  Our friends said it was a 4 but I give it only a 3.5.

Apple Pie - Loleen G.

2 unbaked 9" pie crusts (deep pie)                               5 C peeled, cored, & sliced apples
1 T.  Flour                                                                   3/4 C Sugar
1/2 tsp. Salt                                                                 1/4 tsp. Cinnamon
3 T. Butter                                                                   1/4 tsp. Nutmeg
   
Combine flour, sugar, salt & spices.  Mix with prepared apples. Put into a deep 9" pastry lined pan.  Dot with butter.  Moisten edge of bottom crust with water to insure a good seal.  Cover with top crust lapping upper crust over bottom crust.  Press firmly together.  Flute edges.  Bake in hot oven 425o for 40 min.  Be sure apples are tender when pricked with fork.

1 comment:

  1. I've realized as I have shared the recipes that we are MUCH pickier about how food should taste. We are related to too many amazing cooks!

    ReplyDelete