Monday, February 4, 2013

Chicken Casserole (OR Turkey)

This is the finished casserole.  It is very pretty to serve just straight at the table.  It is very light and puffy because of the whipped egg whites.  An interesting concept for a casserole.  I halved the recipe to serve 6.
This really does serve 12 people.  I halved the recipe for both the dressing and the casserole for our dinner. I went a little extra on the turkey because I used my left over turkey roast.  The recipe is for 12 servings.  This casserole  is pretty when you serve it.  A definite 4 if you like turkey and dressing.  This would be a great way to use left over Thanksgiving turkey, dressing and gravy to make it stretch.
Once again I invited guests.  Our friends are great sports.  Luckily  the guests were big fans of turkey and dressing, they both had 2nd helpings.  When served with cranberry sauce it even became prettier and brighter. I called Carolyn to find out who Ivy Williams was.  Uncle Brent's Aunt.  I can't believe I don't remember knowing her!  I found a small problem with the recipe, if you are a new or inexperienced cook.  What if you don't know how to make, or do not have a recipe for poultry dressing; and how big a recipe do I need?  I chose to use Grandma Kathleen's because our family likes it.  I used 1/2 of recipe since I 1/2'd the casserole.  I have included that recipe also.

CHICKEN (TURKEY) CASSEROLE - Ivy W.                                              Serves 12

1 1/2  Lbs. Cooked Cubed Chicken or Turkey                           1 quart Chicken Broth
2 quarts raw Poultry Dressing or Stuffing                                     Salt and Pepper to taste
1/4 C Fat (I used 1/2 of butter from Dressing Recipe)                 3 Egg Yolks - stirred well                          2 Tbs Flour                                                                                3 Egg Whites - beaten to stiff peaks
Make a rue with melted fat and flour.  Add chicken Broth and stir until mixture is smooth and boiling.  Take a cup of the broth mixture and add to egg yolks mixing quickly with a whisk while adding so yolks will not cook in small chunks.  Mix heated yolk mixture back into broth while stirring constantly.  (Like making pudding).  Cook for 2 min. stirring constantly.  Cool sauce slightly and fold  in beaten egg whites.  Layer dressing, turkey chunks, and sauce (2 or 3 layers each)  in greased baking dish  Bake 350o for 40 min.  Let sit for 10 min before serving.  If making ahead, bake for 1 hour.

Turkey Dressing                              serves 12            Bake in 9x13 or 2 loaf pans at 350o for 1 hour
In large bowl place:  1 1/2  Lb. Loaf of Bread - Broken up,
                                1/2 to 1 Lb. Sausage cooked and crumbled.
Saute:  1 cube Butter or Margarine,
           1 1/2 C finely chopped Onion
           1 1/2 C finely chopped Celery
Mix together: 2 beaten Eggs, 3 1/2 C Milk, 1/2 tsp Salt, 1 1/2 tsp. Sage, 1/2 tsp. Poultry Seasoning,                      dash Pepper 1 Chicken Bouillon Cube crushed, 1 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
Mix together above ingredients.  Place in greased pan and bake.


No comments:

Post a Comment