Monday, February 18, 2013

Lady Fingers

If you are a fan of Pepperidge Farms Milano Cookies, these are really close.  I really cannot make these very often or I would become an elephant to go with the African tablecloth.  These are a little softer cookie than Pepperidge Farms, but if you flattened and baked them a little more than I did they would be closer.  I added mint flavoring to the chocolate frosting and served them with Triple Chocolate Mint homemade ice cream.  It was a truly wonderful combination.  There was no frosting recipe listed so I made my own chocolate mint frosting recipe.
The recipe has you bake them on brown paper.  I think this is so they do not spread too far and the edges don't get too crispy.  I did not grease the brown paper.  When I took them off they seemed to come off better after they sat a little.  I didn't let them get totally cooled so as I worked them off of the paper they bent a little but they flattened back out and didn't break.  They do stick a little so use as thin a spatula as you can.

Lady Fingers - Virginia S.                                    Makes approx. 1 doz. finished cookies

3 Eggs                                                                     1 1/2 C Flour
1 scant C Sugar                                                       1 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
1 tsp Vanilla                                                             Dash of Salt

Beat eggs until light.  Add sugar and vanilla.  Mix Well.  Sift dry ingredients and add to egg  mixture.  These cookies are best baked on brown paper.  Drop dough with a small cookie scoop.  (Approx. 2  tsp.) of dough.  Flatten and mold into oblong shape about 3/4" x 1 1/2" x 1/4".  I had to moisten my fingers with water to shape oblongs.  Bake at 350o for 12 min.  These are best baked on brown paper.  Put 2 fingers together with powdered sugar frosting.

Dark Chocolate Frosting

2 C. Powdered Sugar                                         3 Tbs Butter
3 Tbs. Cocoa                                                     1/2 tsp Vanilla or Mint Flavoring
Dash Salt                                                            Cream to make thicker frosting consistency
I made thicker frosting so it wouldn't run out of the cookies and turn them to mush.

1 comment: