Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Ground Beef Hash by Maurine G.

This recipe is a lot like Spanish rice, but with bread crumbs.  We loved it!  We left the breadcrumbs off for the gluten-free girl and it was still great, so you could skip that step, if you felt like it.  Cheese might be a yummy substitution, too. I have to admit that I only put in half of the onions and peppers because that was all the peppers I had and it seemed like a lot of onions. I think I will put them all in the next time I make it. 



Ground Beef Hash by Maurine G.

2 large onions, diced
2 green peppers, diced
3 T shortening
1 tsp salt
1 lb hamburger
2 c canned tomatoes
1 c rice, cooked
1 tsp chili powder
buttered bread crumbs

Cook rice in 2 c water.  Melt shortening in a skillet and saute the vegetables until transparent.  Add meat and brown.  (Or you could just dump the meat and vegetables in all together and leave the shortening out. The vegetables will saute in the fat off the meat.)  Add tomatoes, rice, and seasonings, and pour into a greased 9x13 pan.  Cover with bread crumbs and put in a 350 degree oven until browned, about 15 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment