Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Hawaiian Moon Drops - Deseret News


As I read this recipe I vaguely recalled eating these and loving them and hoping they were the cookies I remembered.  I honestly don't remember who made them, but think it was my other grandmother.  I made sure I had all the ingredients and started mixing up the cookies and when it came time to add the  lemon extract, I discover the bottle was empty.  I figured I would use lemon juice, it shouldn't make too much difference, right?  WRONG!!   Then when I made the icing I realized I was out of cornstarch, so I used tapioca, DON'T EVER DO THIS!  It tasted horrible, and the consistency was like mucus, it was a very bad idea.  I just iced a couple cookies when I decided to borrow some cornstarch and remake the icing, the kids loved eating the extra pineapple.  That said, they were good, an easy 3, but not great, and didn't taste like I remembered.  So, I went and bought some lemon extract and restocked my cornstarch supply and remade them, and now they are a 4-plus.  They are amazing!  I recommend them for all occasions and events.  It is probably my new favorite cookie. The only issue with the recipe as written, is that I was glad I read both the cookie recipe and the icing recipe ahead, since you need to drain the pineapple and use the juice for the icing, as noted below.

Also, I am contemplating using coconut oil instead of shortening just to see what it will taste like.

NOTE: The icing for this cookies is in the frosting section.  Because of its consistency I wouldn't recommend it for a cake, unless you want a glaze.

Hawaiian Moon Drops
3 C flour (add an extra 1/4 C for high altitude)
1 t baking powder
1 t soda
1 t salt
3/4 C brown sugar
1/2 C white sugar
2/3 C shortening
2 eggs
1 t vanilla
1/4 t lemon extract
2/3 C crushed pineapple, drained, with juice reserved for icing.
1 C chopped nuts (I used walnuts)
Pineapple Icing
1 1/2 C flaked coconut

Preheat oven to 375-degrees. Combine/sift flour, baking powder, soda and salt in a small bowl and set aside.  Cream shortening and both sugars until fluffy.  Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each.  Add vanilla, lemon extract and pineapple and mix just until combined.  Add flour mixture and and mix well.  Add nuts.  Drop by teaspoons onto a lightly greased cookie sheet (I didn't grease the cookie sheet and they were fine).  Bake for 10-12 minutes.  Frost with pineapple icing and dip into  coconut (I just sprinkled the coconut on).

Pineapple Icing
1/2 C pineapple juice
1/2 C cold water
1/4 C cornstarch
2 T lemon juice
1 T butter
1 t vanilla
2 drops yellow food coloring
1 1/4 C powdered sugar

In a small saucepan, combine the pineapple juice, water and cornstarch and mix with a whisk.  Continue stirring until mixture thickens a lot.  Remove from heat.  Add the lemon juice, butter, vanilla and food coloring and mix thoroughly.  Whisk in powdered sugar.

1 comment:

  1. Natalie, I remember where you have had these. At home. Sometimes I would add red food color to the icing and leave out the nuts for you know who!

    ReplyDelete