Thursday, February 7, 2013

Ground Beef Rice Casserole by Rua J.

This was simple and quick, and it only took one pan.  That's what I call a winner.  :)  It's similar to Spanish Rice, but since it uses the soup, I didn't have to put in spices or other things.  And for those who have never seen or used it before, chicken gumbo soup is made by Campbell's, and is rice and chicken in a somewhat weak tomato sauce.  I found it in the regular soup section (with a little help from the grocery manager).  I really liked that the recipe called for regular rice.  Even though it takes longer to cook, I think it tastes better, and it's a lot less expensive.

Here's a picture of the finished product:

And a picture of it on the plate.  The meat seemed to all rise to the top while baking, but there was quite a bit of rice underneath.

Ground Beef Casserole
1 lb ground beef
1 med chopped onion
1 chopped green pepper
sticks celery, chopped
2 cans chicken gumbo soup
2 cans water
1 C uncooked rice
salt to taste (I didn't add any and it tasted good, but it would still taste good with a teaspoon or so)
Brown beef and onion. Add other ingredients.  Bake, covered for 1 hour at 350 degrees.  May use sausage instead of beef (I think that would taste a little spicier, and very good)

No comments:

Post a Comment