Sunday, October 27, 2013

Veal (or ground beef) Casserole by Jennie S


This was good.  Not overwhelmingly wonderful, but definitely good.  I thought the cooking time was really long (1 1/2 hours), but the rice was done perfectly, and nothing was overdone.  I used the Worcestershire Sauce, since I prefer that to soy sauce.  Also, since it's Sunday and we don't have any Chinese noodles in the house, we put it over rice.  My husband and I agreed it would probably be better over Chinese noodles (but definitely edible over plain white rice).  This would be easy to prepare ahead of time or to throw together with some left over roast beef.  The cooking time is long, but the prep to put it in the oven was very short and easy.

Veal Casserole by Jennie S
1 lb veal or beef
2 T fat (I left this out)
1 1/2 C diced celery
2 small onions, chopped
1/2 C uncooked rice
1 10 1/2 oz can mushroom soup
1 1/2 cans water
3 Tbsp soy sauce or Worcestershire sauce
1 10 1/2 oz can cream of chicken soup
1 can chow mein noodles

Brown meat in fat.  Stir in all ingredients except noodles.  Pour into 2 qt baking dish and bake 90 minutes at 350 degrees.  Uncover for the last 10 minutes.  Serve over noodles.  Serves 6 (although my family of two adults and two kids ate less than half of it)

No comments:

Post a Comment