Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Barbecued Beef by Mildred M.

These are Sloppy Joes.  I forgot to take a picture, but you know what sloppy Joes look like.  I liked the addition of a little sausage.  The spice mix was a little different than my usual recipe, but we liked it.  I didn't have any savory salt, so I looked up the recipe my mom used and added the main things, at least the things I had in my cupboard.  She doesn't list an amount, so I just guessed.  I also left the extra tomato juice and the flour out because I wanted it to be gluten free and gf flours don't make very good rouxs.  I think if you add it it would make the sauce more gravy-like.  It wasn't too runny without it though, so you can skip it if you want to. She says it serves 30 buns, but I think she made really big buns.  It would probably serve more like 40-50 buns, depending on the size.

Barbecued Beef by Mildred M.

8 lbs ground beef
1 lb sausage
10 onions, finely chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
2 cans tomato paste
2 qts tomatoes or juice
1 tsp chili powder
a few bay leaves (I used 2)
savory salt (I used 1/2 tsp each of: celery salt, onion powder, garlic powder, thyme, pepper)
salt to taste
1 c flour
1 c tomatoe juice

In a roaster or large pot, brown beef, sausage, onions, and green pepper.  Add tomato paste, tomatoes or juice, and spices.  Thicken with four and tomato juice.  Simmer for at least 2 hours.  Will serve 30 buns (40-50).

No comments:

Post a Comment