Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Cake Donuts - Maude J.


I really wanted these to be amazing, instead they were just good.  There are no real complaints about them other than they were really dry the next day, but that was probably due more to the fact they cooked so fast many were over cooked.  I did make a GF version that Karissa seemed to like, but everyone agreed they were a solid 3.   The lemon extract was nice in them, but when I make donuts I am going to stick with my donut holes recipe from Lion House which I included, because everyone should make them.

I didn't have a donut cutter so I used a cup and a melon baller to make the holes, it worked really well.  Also, the dough is really sticky, the original recipe gives a range for the flour, I would just use the top of the range and then plan on adding flour as you roll (pat) out.

Cake Donuts
1/4 C shortening
3/4 C sugar
1 beaten egg
1 C canned milk
1 tsp lemon extract
2 1/2-3 C flour
1/4 t salt
3 t baking powder
1/2 t nutmeg

Cream shortening and sugar.  Add egg, milk, and extract and combine.  Add remaining ingredients and stir until combined.  Roll on a floured surface and cut.  Cook in deep hot oil and roll in sugar.

Lion House Donut Balls (1/2 recipe of GF measurements)
1/4 t xantham gum
1 1/4  2 1/2 C flour
3/4     1 t Baking Powder
1         2 eggs
3/4     1 1/2 C sour cream
1/2      1 t vanilla
1/8      1/4 t salt
Oil for frying
Powdered sugar, glazed cinnamon sugar, etc.

Combine all ingredients, but oil and powdered sugar, and stir until well mixed.  The batter will be muffin like.  Heat the oils drop by tablespoons into oil (I like to use my cookie scoop).  Fry until golden brown and remove and drain then toss with powdered sugar, glaze, cinnamon sugar, etc).  Makes 25.


No comments:

Post a Comment