Monday, October 7, 2013

Lasagna - Ann W.

This sauce is a tremendous tasting lasagna sauce.  I was surprised with so few spices the flavor would be so good.  It was easy to make, it was thick and rich, and the flavor was great.  I have tried a lot of kinds of sauces and this I think beats most. 
It was interesting to put velveeta cheese in lasagna.  It gave the dish a different twist.  A good twist.  Just for the record this lasagna has another different twist.  Instead of using noodles I have started using zucchini when I have it.  You have less starch and more vegetables for your meal.  Kind of like using spaghetti squash.  It makes lasagna a lighter dish.  As you can see in the picture the noodles (zucchini) are green.  No the dish has not molded!  Also, It is the time of year I am looking for ways to use fresh tomatoes, so instead of a 16 oz. can of tomatoes, I used fresh.  I cut the tomato and removed the seeds and liquid to only use the flesh and skins for fiber and flavor.  (I put the skins and flesh in the food processor).  The sauce was really thick which I liked.  I did forget to add the extra salt that would be in canned tomatoes and cooked noodles.  We had to salt it at the table. The recipe says to use a 12" x 18" pan.  I think that is too large of a pan.  I would use 9" x 13".

Lasagna - Ann Wilcken

1  lb. Ground Beef                                            1  tsp. Oregano
1/2  C. Chopped Onion                                    1/4  tsp. Pepper
1  1 lb. Can Tomatoes (2 -3  C. Fresh)             1/2  lb. Lasagna Noodles
1  6 oz. Can Tomato Paste                                2  6 oz. pkg. Mozzarella Cheese (2 C.  Fresh grated)
1/3  C. Water  (optional)                                   1/2  lb. Velveeta Cheese
1  Clove Garlic Minced                                     1/2  C. Grated Parmesan Cheese

Brown meat, add onion, cook until tender.  Stir in tomatoes, paste, water, garlic and seasonings.  Cover and simmer 30 min.  In 9" x 13" baking dish, layer cooked noodles (raw zucchini), meat sauce and cheese.  Repeat layers.  Bake at 350o F. for 30 min.

No comments:

Post a Comment