Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Apple-Spice Swirls by Rua J.

These reminded my one daughter of a cobbler.  They are pretty good.  If I made them again, I think I would use some chopped up apples in place of the applesauce, or an apple pie filling.  We thought chunks would be a good addition.  I think it is more of a dessert than a bread, so I am listing it under both.  The recipe was a little confusing to follow, so I am going to organize it differently.


Apple Spice Swirls by Rua J.

Syrup
1 c apple juice
1 c sugar

Combine juice and sugar in a small saucepan and simmer for 10 minutes.  Set aside.  While it simmers, make the pastry.

Pastry
1 1/2 c flour
1 tsp salt
3 tsp baking powder
1/2 c butter or margarine
1/2 c rolled oats
1/2 c milk

Combine flour, salt, and baking powder; cut in the butter until the mixture is like course crumbs.  Add oats and milk, mixing just until the mixture forms a ball.  Roll out to a 9x 13 rectangle.

Filling
1T melted butter
1 1/2 c applesauce
1/2 c brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 c chopped nuts

Brush pastry with melted butter.  Combine the remaining ingredients and spread evenly on dough.  Roll up loosely, and cut into 9 slices, 1 inch wide.  Place in an 8x8 square or round pan.  Pour syrup over the top and bake at 400 for 35 minutes.  Serve warm, with whipped cream.  Makes 9 servings.

1 comment:

  1. I got to taste this and it was very good. I wondered if it would be soggy bread dough. It wasn't. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete