Sunday, October 13, 2013

Frosting for Graham Cake by Birdean M.

Sorry, but no picture on this one.  It looks a lot like frosting.  :)

It tasted fine, even good, but it was WAY too much work!  It requires you to cook sugar and water to soft ball stage.  Yes, I said SOFT BALL STAGE.  This takes longer than I supposed.  I got side tracked by my children, and it cooked too long (it was almost to crack stage before I caught it).  Because it had been cooked so long, some of it hardened into a sheet of rock hard candy in the bottom of the mixer bowl.  Yes, I was beating it the whole time, but adding the room temperature or cold ingredients cooled it down too much.  Like I said, it tasted fine.  I think I'll just stick with the simple, but still delicious, buttercream frosting (beat butter, powdered sugar, milk, dash salt, vanilla until it's fluffy).

Frosting for Graham Cake by Birdean Murie
1/2 C sugar
1/2 C water
2 1/2 C powdered sugar
1 beaten egg
1/2 C butter or shortening
1 t vanilla

Boil sugar and water to soft ball stage.  Blend in all other ingredients.  Add 2 T cocoa for chocolate icing.  This frosting does not lose it's body when put on warm cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment