Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Jen's Pizza Pie-Mildred M.


This was really quite yummy.  The crust was crispy and it was a different way than I had done crust before that said it takes a lot of advance planning.  From mixing dough to eating was about 3 1/2 hours, partially due to my oven not cooking two pans real well and having to cook a GF pizza as well.  The sauce really is quite delicious and may be my go to recipe from now on.  I didn't have two cans of tomato paste so I used a can of paste and a can of sauce.  In the future I will probably piece this recipe apart and use a mixture of sausage and hamburger for the meat, but not so much, add more vegetables (I ended up serving beans with dinner just to get some veggies in), and allow the crust to rise a bit more before putting the ingredients on it.  I pulled it from the fridge when I was ready to put the toppings on, in the future I would get the crust completely ready and allow it to rise while I get the toppings ready.  I will also cook the crust a bit before adding the ingredients to get a crisper crust without crispy cheese.

Jen's Pizza Pie

CRUST:
1 (2 1/2 t) pkg dry yeast
1 C warm water
2 t sugar
3 1/2 C flour
1 T melted shortening
1 1/2 t salt

Soften yeast in water.  In a med bowl add sugar and 1-1/2 C flour, mix well.  Add shortening and salt and mix well.  Add remaining flour.  Knead until smooth and elastic (10 min), dough will be stiff.  Place in a greased bowl and allow to rise to more than double ( about an hour and a half).  Punch down and refrigerate until cool.  Roll and pat into 2 - 10" circles on greased cookie sheet (I added some cornmeal onto the cookie sheet).  clip dough at 1" intervals around edge so it stands up slightly (I didn't do this).  Gash or fork the crust to prevent bubbles.

TOPPING
1 lb ground beef
1/2 lb pork sausage
1/4 t salt
Dash pepper
1/2 C minced onion
2- 6 Oz cans tomato paste
1/2 t sweet basil
1/2 t oregano
2- 3 oz cans sliced mushrooms
3 1/3 C grated cheese
2/3 C parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 425-degreees.  Brown beef, sausage, and onion.  Add salt and pepper.  In a sm bowl combine tomato paste, basil, and oregano.  Cover each crust with 1/4 the sauce, add meat mixture and mushrooms.  Top with remaining sauce.  Top with cheese.  Bake in oven for 20 min.  Makes 16 servings






No comments:

Post a Comment