Monday, October 7, 2013

Ham and Vegetable Casserole - Rua J.

NO PICTURE!  I really did not make it this time because I have made this since I was young.  It is wonderful.  My family has always eaten it very well.  It is colorful and bright and a great casserole on a cold winter evening.  Whenever I cook a "Grandma M" ham, we make this with the ham scrapes.  I remember the first time I ate it I love it so much.  If I cook a ham I will add a picture later.

Ham and Vegetable Casserole - Rua J.

2  Diced Potatoes                                  1  tsp. Salt
3  C. Diced Carrots                               2  Tbs. Butter or fat
1  Minced Onion                                    2  Tbs. Flour (or 1 Tbs. Cornstarch - Gluten Free)
3  Tbs. Minced Parsley                          1/2  C. Evaporated Milk (or reg. for fewer calories)
2  C. Boiling Water                                2  C. Diced Cooked Ham
1/4  Lb.  Processed Cheese, shredded (or other cheese, but it won't be a smooth of sauce)

Place vegetables in kettle with water.  Cover and cook until almost tender (15-20 min).  Add salt during last 5 min.  While vegetables are cooking, shred cheese and mince parsley.  When vegetables are cooked, drain and reserve the water for later.  Dissolve flour or corn starch in milk.  Add milk to cooking water.  Boil and thicken sauce using combined cooking water and milk.  Add cheese, vegetables, parsley and ham.  Mix well.  Pour into casserole.  Do not cover during cooking.  Bake in moderate oven 350o F. 20 to 25 min. or until the top is golden brown.  (Frozen green peas may be added for color - delicious!)



No comments:

Post a Comment