Saturday, October 5, 2013

Raisin Filled Cookies by Lilliam G & Easy Filled Cookies by Jennie S.

I decided to do both recipes at once, since they are virtually the same.  The only difference in the dough is the addition of vanilla in the one.  The biggest difference in the filling is that one recipe says to use "ground" raisins while the other just says raisins.  After making both fillings, though, I would definitely suggest chopping or "grinding" the raisins, regardless of what the recipe instructs.  The filling with whole raisins was harder to use.  I don't know which recipe the pictured cookies are, since both looked identical after baking.


For the sake of people reading this, I must say I hate raisins.  I will skip dessert before eating a dessert with raisins in it, and I LOVE dessert.  So I used my 4 yr old and almost 2 yr old as taste testers.  The 4 yr old likes these better than the chocolate chip cookies I made.  The 2 yr old just seemed to like them.

The biggest problem with the cookies is how difficult they are to make.  You have to mix up the dough, which is very sticky.  Then you have to chop raisins and make the filling.  then you have to manage to fill the silly things.

I tried to make the dough into a roll and refrigerate it so I could just cut discs of cookie dough off like my mother does.  It didn't work.  The dough was still way too sticky and soft to cut.  So then I dropped it onto the cookie sheet with a cookie scoop, then flattened each scoop with a spoon (trying to make a little well in the center for the filling).  The dough stuck to the spoon, but I managed to make it work.




So then I put on the filling, then plopped more cookie dough on top.
I couldn't think of any way to seal the sides to keep the filling in, so I skipped that part and just stuck them in the oven.  Since the sides weren't sealed, some of the filling leaked out, making them stick like crazy to the cookie sheet.  I thought of greasing it, but thought that might make them spread further.

My suggestion is to just make Mary Algers Yummy Chocolate Chip Cookies on pg 47 and leave out the chocolate chips.  It's a boiled raisin drop cookie recipe, and super yummy.  At least that's what my husband and children report.  It's also super easy!!!


Easy Filled Cookies by Jennie Sherratt
1 C shortening
2 C brown sugar, packed
3 eggs
1/2 C water
1/8 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla
3 1/2 C flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp soda

Mix shortening, sugar, and eggs.  Add water and vanilla.  Sift together and stir in remaining ingredients.  Drop 1 tsp dough onto cookie sheet.  Place 1/2 tsp filling on top of dough, then cover with 1 tsp dough.  Keep cookies at least 2 inches apart to allow for spreading.  Bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes.

Filling
2 C chopped dates or raisins
3/4 C water
3/4 C sugar
1/2 C nuts
Cook together until thickened, stirring constantly.  Add nuts to add variety.  Also mincemeat could be used in this recipe.

Raisin Filled Cookies by Lillian G.
2 C brown sugar
1 C shortening
3 eggs
1/2 C water, sour milk or buttermilk
3 1/2 C flour
1 tsp soda
1 tsp salt

Cream sugar, shortening and eggs.  Add flour, soda, salt, and water.  Roll out and add filling.  Bake 8 minutes at 400 degrees.

Filling
1 C washed raisins, ground
1/4 C sugar
2 T butter
1/4 C water
1 t vanilla

Grind raisins, stir and heat until it boils, cool.  Drop dough by teaspoon on cookie sheet, then drop 1/2 tsp filling on dough, then drop teaspoon dough.  Seal sides.  Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes (yes, this recipe has two, conflicting, sets of instructions for baking)

No comments:

Post a Comment