Thursday, January 31, 2013

Apple Pudding Cake by Helen J.

This smelled unbelievably good while it was baking!!  The recipe was simple and quick, even including dicing the apples.  And the cake itself is dairy free, which my little Bubba REALLY liked.  :)

The recipe doesn't list a pan size, so I was assuming 9x13, but after I got it mixed up, I realized it's for a 8x8 or 9x9 square pan.  I only used 2 large Granny Smith apples, since I think our apples are bigger now than they were in Helen's day.  The Granny Smiths were perfect for the recipe, and I think just two large apples was a good choice.  But if you like more apple than cake, use more.  :)

Here's a picture of the batter right before I put it in the pan.  Notice how many apples there are

And here's a picture of the cake with whipped topping.  I used that since I'm not a fan of pudding.

Overall, the recipe was good, but not earth shattering.  If you're a big fan of baked apple desserts, though, you might think it's a 4 star recipe.

Apple Pudding Cake
3 or 4 large diced apples (I peeled them, too)
1 C sugar
1/2 C shortening
1 egg
1 C flour
1 t soda
1/2 t salt
1/2 t cinnamon
1/4 t nutmeg
1/2 C nuts (I left these out, but I imagine walnuts would be good)

Cream shortening and sugar, add egg, then apples, then add dry ingredients and nuts.  Bake 40-50 minutes at 325 degrees and top with sauce or whipped topping.

Sauce
Lemon jello pie mix - omitting one egg and adding water to make it thinner than for pie.  


No comments:

Post a Comment