Thursday, January 24, 2013

Dipping Chocolates by Mary S.

I loved the General Directions at the beginning of the recipe.  They are a great explanation!  I've dipped many chocolates before, but I still reviewed it since it's been a while.  Also, even though I've dipped quite a few chocolates, I've never done it alone, and I've never successfully made fondant centers.  Mom always did that part (thanks mom!!).  So it was an adventure.  I only did the Cream Centers recipe (it lists cream centers, chocolate centers, caramels, and brown sugar fudge).  It was simple enough, but I had to turn the heat up (because it would stop boiling) and ended up cooking it too long.  The first time I tested, it was more of a hard than a soft ball.  So it didn't stir very well, and if I'd waited for it to cool all the way, I wouldn't have been able to stir at all.  When my arms and hands were about to fall off, I gave up and just folded in some flavor, and cut it into balls to dip.


  So the centers are almost flavored caramel type stuff.  Still yummy, though.  Then I dipped it in candy coating since I couldn't find good dipping chocolate this time of year (and my kids didn't have a trip to the specialty kitchen store in them).  I give it a three.  Good, but not earth shattering.




Dipping Chocolates
Chocolate dipping should be done in a fairly cool room about 65 degrees.  Caramels, nuts, candied fruit, or molded fondant centers may be chocolate dipped.  Mold fondant centers a day or two before dipping; otherwise fondant leaks through chocolate coating.  Use at least 1 pound chocolate.

Dipping chocolate, bits, bars may be used or a combination of any one.  Place over hot, not boiling, water.  Stir until chocolate melts.  Exchange hot water for cold in a double boiler, stir and cool chocolate.  Exchange cool water for warm.  Drop centers in, roll around to coat, lift out with a fork.  Draw fork across rim of pan to remove excess chocolate.  Drop on waxed paper.  Never allow water to come in contact with chocolate; it causes gray streaks.  If chocolate is heated too hot it becomes grainy.  Centers may be frozen and then dipped.  This makes it easier to dip soft centers.

Cream Centers
3 C granulated sugar
1 C heavy cream
3 T white syrup
1 t vanilla
Combine sugar, syrup and cream in heavy saucepan and bring to boil stirring constantly.  Cook to soft ball stage.  Pour in large shallow pan.  Cool to lukewarm.  Beat until mixture holds shape.  Place in can such as shortening can to age, for at least 2-3 days.  Various flavors may be mixed in when forming centers, such as lemon, maple, black walnut, orange, peppermint.  They can also be added in combination with chopped or whole nuts, maraschino cherries or candied pineapple.  (note: it never mentions adding the vanilla, but I added it to the shallow pan when it started cooling)

No comments:

Post a Comment