Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Brown Sugar Muffins by Helen J.


When I saw that this recipe was submitted by Helen J., I knew it was a good recipe.  Helen knows what good food tastes like!  These muffins are easy to make and very yummy.  I liked the fact that I could mix them up early in the day and bake them fresh for dinner.  I recommend that you allow them to cool for a few minutes before taking them out of the pan, otherwise, they stick.   They are great warm, but they are also yummy cold.   It is interesting to note that this recipe is almost identical to a recipe I have from my mother-in-law’s family.  They lived on the opposite end of the state from each other.  Makes me wonder where they all got it from, but it is easy to see why they kept it.


Brown Sugar Muffins

1 c brown sugar
½ c shortening
1 egg
1 c milk
1 tsp vanilla
½ tsp soda
2 c flour
¼ tsp salt
½ c nuts (optional)

Cream shortening and sugar.  Add the milk, egg, and vanilla.  Add dry ingredients and mix just until combined.  Do not over mix!!  Fill greased or lined muffin tins 2/3 full.  Refrigerate for 1 hour or overnight.  (My other recipe skips the refrigeration and they are just fine.)  Bake at 375o for 20 minutes.

1 comment: