Sunday, January 20, 2013

Rocky Roads - Mildred M.


If you need a quick easy treat this is the recipe for you.They tasted very good if you like marshmallows and chocolate (nuts could be optional).  They are a little pricey for how much you get.  The recipe calls for 18 lg. marshmallows.  When I went to get my marshmallows all I had was small so I went ahead.  I figured about 10-12 miniature equaled a large marshmallow.  I think it ended up better because the chocolate was spread throughout the whole slab in smaller amounts.  I would definitely make this again.  Where the recipe has some challenges is the amount of chocolate bars.  I read the recipe and it says it makes approx. 1 lb.  I guessed the marshmallow would be 1/2 to 2/3 a lb. and the nuts would be a few ounces, I used 2 giant (7oz. bars).  It turned out pretty good for a guess.  (For my daughters.  Mildred is Keith M. and Cathy's mother.

ROCKY ROADS - Mildred M.

18 lg. or about 1/2 lb. Miniature Marshmallows       2 - 7oz. Hershey Chocolate Bars     
1/2 C Chopped Walnuts
Line a 9"x5"x3" loaf pan with waxed paper.  Or use a 8"x6"x2.  Lightly butter the waxed paper.  Melt the chocolate in the top of a double broiler or in the microwave stirring often.  Do not get marshmallows too hot.
Lg. marshmallows:  Line bottom of pan with marshmallows.  Sprinkle nuts all around.  Pour chocolate over and smooth with spatula.
Min. marshmallows:  Let chocolate cool a little and add the nuts.  Stir well.  Add marshmallows and mix quickly.  Chocolate will harden quickly.  When mixed pour into pan.
Set aside to cool.  When firm, cut into rough squares with sharp knife.  Makes about 1 pound.  Wrap each piece in waxed paper.  Keeps several weeks at room temperature.

1 comment: