Friday, January 18, 2013

Lemon Cake, Helen J





Let me just start by saying that I love this cake! I pretty much love all things lemon, like lemonade, lemon heads, lemon starbursts, lemon pie, lemon bars, and lemon scented cleaning products. I think it is genetic, my Dad loves lemon and his Mom, Helen J, also loved lemon. Just the other day my pregnant self was thinking how much I would like some sort of lemon something, well, Lemon Cake was just what I was looking for.

The recipe is pretty much just the directions off of a cake mix, so any lemon cake mix will do. I did not use all of the oil specified in the recipe, it seemed like a lot, so I went with the box directions on that one. I also used the baking directions on the box, 30 minutes was not quite enough. Now for my favorite part! When cake is done, use the end of a wooden spoon and poke holes all over the top. Then pour the fabulous jello/powdered sugar glaze over the top, all of that sugary goodness will soak into the cake. Let cool and "ice" with Cool Whip, or just eat it warm. (Not that I would know anything warm cake or the missing corner of cake. Hence no full cake picture, whoops)

If you are a little frightened about the sugar content, just use sugar free jello for the glaze. Also have fun with the jello flavors, mix it up depending on the holiday, or the birthday. I have had this cake for my B-day cake a few times, with varying flavors. Thank you Grandma Jones! 4 stars!


Lemon Cake- Helen J

1 pkg lemon velvet cake mix
4 eggs
1 pkg lemon jello
3/4 C oil
3/4 C water

Mix all ingredients well and pour into 9 x 13 cake pan.  Bake 25-30 minutes or until cake springs bake when touched with finger.  take from oven and prick all over cake, clear to the bottom with toothpick or fork.  Mix 3 oz package of jello with 1 1/2 cups hot water, dissolve.  Glaze with jello and rind of 2 lemons, mixed with 2 C powdered sugar.  Put back in oven for 1 minute.  Good warm or cold, with or without whipped cream.

1 comment: