Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Jelly Roll by Maureen G


This Jelly Roll sounded yummy, but I was a little disappointed.  The cake recipe was labor intensive and didn't have a lot of flavor.  Vanilla might fix that.  When I added the raspberry jam, that was all we could taste.  I also had a little trouble getting the cake off the dish towel when it was time to fill it.  I lined the pan with greased, and floured, waxed paper, even though it didn't say to, and I was glad I did. It was hard to get the paper off and I don't think it would have come out of the pan in one piece.


Jelly Roll by Maureen G

4 eggs, separated
4 T water
1 c sugar
1 c flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt

Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form.  In another bowl, whisk water and egg yolks until lemon colored.  Gradually add sugar and beat well.  Add dry ingredients.  Gently fold in egg whites.  Pour batter into a wax paper lined, greased, and floured cookie sheet.  Bake at 350 until light brown, 15-18 minutes.  Immediately turn onto a damp dish towel, remove wax paper lining, and roll up to cool.  When cooled, unroll and spread with a pint of jam, then re-roll and refrigerate.

2 comments: