Thursday, January 24, 2013

Pineapple Fondant - Della G.

I am slow, I had a "church" week and some other stuff and didn't get to making this until yesterday and finally got it done last night.  Note to self: make sure you have new sugar before Sunday when making candy.

I thought this recipe looked interesting and I love pineapple.  It is a basic enough recipe, that said, I think I might have messed it up.  After being beaten for about 20 minutes (10 by me, 10 by my husband) it still wasn't what I expected.  It was still more like carmel than fondant.  I cooked it past soft ball to more firm ball, but it still never set up right, but it didn't go to sugar like a lot of my candy does.  Its flavor was good, but I really wanted more pineapple flavor, I wonder if I had put all the drained pineapple if it would still set up.  That said, it was good and I will probably make it again and try more pineapple.

Pineapple Fondant
4 C white sugar
1/2 C white corn syrup
dash salt
1 C cream
1 C crushed pineapple, drained

Place all ingredients in a heavy bottom pan and stir until the sugar is dissolved.  Cover the pan for 5 minutes or until all the crystals are dissolved, make sure it doesn't boil over (I didn't have a problem with this).  Remove lid and let the candy continue to boil until it reaches soft ball stage (232-degrees).  Stir occasionally, making sure not to touch the sides of the pan above the candy.  Remove from heat and allow to cool.  Place on a buttered platter and beat/knead until it is thick and creamy and all the shine is gone from the candy.  Place in a tightly covered container and keep refrigerated.

No comments:

Post a Comment