Thursday, January 10, 2013

Whole Wheat or White Bread by Mildred M.

     I have been looking for a new recipe for wheat bread, so I was excited to try this one.  Unfortunately, it was a FLOP!!  My husband almost spit out his first bite of bread, and then threw the rest of the piece away.  I'm partly to blame, because I should have realized that 2 Tablespoons of salt is too much, and maybe the recipe should have read 2 teaspoons.  :)
     But the way the recipe was written is a problem, too.  I put in 4 1/2 cups water.  The 4 that are listed, plus another 1/2 cup for the yeast.  I think the 1/2 cup for the yeast should have come out of the 4 cups, because the dough was so sticky that I couldn't form it into pretty loaves.  I ended up globbing it together as well as I could and plopping it in the pans.  Also, the instructions are less than one line long, so if you don't understand how to make bread and the meaning of "let it rise twice", you would have a problem.
     So here's a picture of my flat, lumpy (because of too much water) bread that I'm probably going to throw away because it's too salty to eat.  And the recipe that a good cook may, or may not, be able to fix.


Whole Wheat or White Bread
10 C whole wheat flour, or white
2 T salt
6 T sugar, molasses, or honey
1 T yeast in 1/2 C water
5 T shortening
1 2/3 C powdered milk mixed with flour
4 C warm water

Mix and knead.  Let it rise twice.  Bake for 1 hour at 350 degrees.

note:  I melted the shortening, as my mother taught me, I used sugar, and I used half white and half wheat flour.

1 comment:

  1. I think I will be marking this one as a NO! Sorry you got the first bomb.

    ReplyDelete