Thursday, January 17, 2013

Oatmeal Cake by Della G.

I really liked this cake!  The recipe is almost identical to the Oatmeal Cake in the Lion House cookbook, but this one only requires one bowl, which we all know is better.  Plus, the cake itself is dairy free, so I was able to feed plain cake to my dairy-allergy baby.  I chose to ice it with cream cheese frosting, but the cake disappeared so quickly, I didn't get a picture with the icing on it.

The cake was very easy to make, it's moist and has good flavor, so it's definitely a 4 star recipe!



Oatmeal Cake
1 1/4 C boiling water
1 C quick cooking oatmeal
1/2 C shortening
1 C brown sugar
1 C white sugar
1 t vanilla
2 eggs
1 t cinnamon
1 t soda
1/2 t salt
1 1/2 C flour

Pour boiling water over oatmeal & shortening in mixer bowl.  Let sit and cool (10 minutes or so).  Add sugar, vanilla, & eggs and beat well.  Add sifted flour, cinnamon, soda, & salt.  Bake @ 350 for 30 minutes in a greased 9x13 pan.

Topping for cake  I didn't use this because it would have soaked into the cake and made it NOT dairy-free, but I've used ones like it before, and it's excellent.

2/3 C brown sugar
6 T melted butter
1/2 C coconut
1 t cinnamon
1/2 C nuts
1/2 C cream
1 t vanilla

Mix ingredients & spread over hot or cold cake.  Broil in oven for 1 minute.

1 comment: