Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Olympian Creams by Della G


These were super yummy.  Some people in my family even liked them better that penoche, which in my family is saying something!  I will definitely make them again.  I was glad that I knew how to make this type of candy because the instructions could be more specific.  Like, I think I should have heated the milk and sugar before adding it.  When I added it cold, it caused some little carmel bits to harden and they never went away.

Olympian Creams by Della G

4 1/2 c sugar, divided
1 1/2 c hot water
1/2 c rich milk or cream
1 cube butter, divided
1/2 c white syrup
few grains of salt
vanilla

Melt 1/2 c sugar in a heavy saucepan (butter the sides of the pan), stirring frequently.  Let brown, add hot water and stir and simmer until caramel syrup forms.  Meanwhile, mix remaining 4 c sugar, milk, salt, and 4 T butter in a small saucepan and warm until butter melts, add to caramel syrup.  Stir constantly until boiling.  Reduce heat and boil, without stirring, until mixture forms reaches soft ball stage (230 degrees).  Remove from heat, and drop butter and vanilla on top, withour stirring.  Cover tightly and let cool until cold to the touch.  Pour into a glass cake pan and stir until it loses its gloss and thickens.

No comments:

Post a Comment