Monday, December 30, 2013

White Fudge Nut Roll - Mildred M./English Toffee-Della G./Marshmallow Fudge-Lillian G.


I have put off making Carmel most of the year due to high humidity during the weeks we were assigned.  Strange, I know, but Albuquerque has decent humidity in the summer and early fall.  So here are all my candies, except, fondant.  Maybe someday I will make it, but I just wasn't feeling it.

English Toffee - 3 1/2-stars

Now I realize it doesn't look like English Toffee, but that is because it needed to cook about 2 minutes longer.  That said, the flavor is pretty good, it tastes like English toffee, my only issue was it didn't call for vanilla and it would have made a big difference.  The other issue with the recipe is that it says to use two cookie sheets because it makes a big batch.  So I halved it and did it on one, except, her cookie sheets must have been significantly smaller than mine, because it only covered about 1/3 of the pan.  So note to self, use a full recipe and use the smaller size cookie sheet.  Also. It says to tour it over and put chocolate on both sides.  I wasn't planning  on doing that since I like it better with chocolate just on the top.

English Toffee
2 1/2 C sugar
1/2 C water
1/4 C corn syrup
1 lb butter
1 tsp vanilla
1 lb chopped pecans
2 lbs milk chocolate

Spread pecans on one buttered smaller-sized cookie sheet, and sprinkle pecans on the pan.  Cook sugar, water, corn syrup, and butter on a pan.  Stir constantly, bring to a soft crack (don't go look for the cookbook to define soft-crack at this stage, it will go to sugar, not that I did that...  Soft crack means it makes pliable strings when dropped in cold water).  Add vanilla.  Pour over pecans.  Let top set just a bit and place chocolate on top to melt.  Sprinkle chopped nuts.  Once cool, bang cookie sheet on counter to break up the toffee and store in a dry place with wax paper in between.


Marshmallow Fudge - 3-stars

This is your basic marshmallow fudge recipe, it is fine, but not as good as mom's.  Some of the measurements are a little different than the recipe you find of the container, but it tastes like marshmallow fudge.

Marshmallow Fudge
4 1/3 C sugar
1 lg can evaporate milk
1/3 C butter
1 pt marshmallow cream (this is two containers, if you think it is one you will have to run to the store when it is partially mixed up.  Once again, not like that happened...)
12 oz chocolate chips
Chopped nuts, if desired

Combine sugar, milk, and butter and, stirring constantly, bring to a boil and cook to soft ball stage (about 5 min on med heat).  Pour over remaining ingredients and stir together.  Cut into squares.


White Fudge Nut Roll - 4-stars

Seriously, this is one of the best things I have ever had.  I loved it so much I put some in a small bowl to keep just as white fudge, and the dipped the remainder.  The only complaint I had is that I should have frozen the fudge in a roll first before dipping, and I should have waited for the chocolate to cool a bit more so the fudge didn't melt.  Oh, and I really wish I would have doubled it!   It is divine!!!!

White Fudge Nut Roll
2 C sugar
2 T light syrup
3/4 C cream
Dash salt
1 t vanilla
Cherries and nuts, chopped (didn't use)

Combine sugar, syrup, cream, and salt.  Bring to a boil on med heat, stirring constantly.  Cook to soft ball stage, stirring occasionally.  Cool, and beat until it loses it's gloss.  Add nuts or cherries, if desired. Roll into snakes and freeze then roll in melted chocolate and then nuts.

No comments:

Post a Comment